Studio 45 @ Ashprington - (Ashprington, Near Totnes,Devon, TQ9 6EE)
This is an intensive firing course, where you will learn to fire your own work in a converted gas fired oil – drum and a wood fired ‘bin kiln’. The name Raku means ease, pleasure and enjoyment. With its roots in japan, the technique has altered over the years to produce some of the most interesting and gorgeous glaze effects found in ceramics. Intensely hands on, it is sheer pleasure to spend time getting to know fire and watching while heat changes the molecular structure of base materials.
Over the weekend you will -
- Learn the history of Raku and be introduced to the origins of Wabi Sabi
- Learn how to design and glaze your own tiles and pots
- Learn how to fire both a gas fired and wood fired kiln
- Be introduced to wax resist techniques, copper fuming, Sacrificial glaze and reduction
- You will receive all the technical notes to make your own glazes and make your own kiln
- You will be instructed by two teachers, so plenty of help and advice throughout the weekend
All bisque fired pots and tiles are provided or bring your own bisque fired masterpieces.
Cake and delicious organic lunch is provided both days